Search This Blog

Monday, July 22, 2013

Do You Wrap Em Up


The other day when I was pondering on compression gear, over at my super secret facebook group, a friend of mine brought up hand wraps. Now hand wraps most definitely look cool but do you need them? Coming from a Karate background, sure I do Shotokan and I did lots of non-contact sparring but I also have an extensive background in knockdown Karate, I would lean towards saying no you don't need them.


I suggest that anyone who is not punching a heavy bag on a daily basis should skip the wraps and spend some time conditioning their hands. If you are only practicing MMA or Karate a few times a week you may be better off getting used to making contact with your bare fists. Just don't go slamming the heaviest bag you can get your hands on the first day. Work your way up, slowly. If you do find your hands getting sore take a break, ice them, stretch them in sand, and consider wrapping up while you adjust to making contact.

That being said people who are training at a very high level may want to utilize hand wraps to avoid injury especially when they don't have enough rest time between sessions. But even for those people who are training at the highest levels of martial arts I would say it is a good idea to get out of your wraps and really hit something. You don't want to get into a situation where you have to defend your self and end up smashing your hands to bits because you had never hit anything with your bare fists before, do you?

What do you think. 
Are hand wraps a must even for the most leisurely martial arts practitioners? Do they look so cool that it just really doesn't matter if you really need them or not? Why do so many Kyokushin based clubs go raw and finally do you wrap up, if so when and why?

1 comment:

  1. I would only wrap up my hands if I am striking a tree or covering up a wound.

    I think in some aspects of karate that it is good to wrap up your hands because it conditions the skin on your knuckles apparently.

    Other than that, I don't see any point of wrapping them up, I always go bare-handed.

    ReplyDelete